Shortage of qualified talent in the country has left over 4,000 mid and senior-level job positions vacant in the artificial intelligence (AI) sector, according to a study.
More than half the firms (57 per cent) hiring for AI roles are looking for candidates with over five years of experience, a study by Analytics India Magazine, in association with Great Learning, an online education firm for working professionals.
The study looks at key AI trends dominating the Indian AI market leading companies, professionals, salaries, jobs broken down by cities and how AI’s potential for industry growth has risen over the last few years.
These opportunities do not include new jobs that are advertised every month but refers to opportunities that have been vacant for a period of 12 months, it added.
Here are the key trends highlighted by the study
- The Artificial Intelligence industry in India is currently estimated to be $230 Million
(annual) in revenue, up from $180 million a year ago.
- Currently, there are around 40,000 AI professionals in India.
- The 10 companies that employ the most AI professionals in India are Accenture,
TCS, Cognizant, Infosys, Wipro, IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Capgemini & HCL Technologies.
- The average work experience of professionals in India is 6.6 years, same as
- Around 3,700 freshers were added to the AI workforce in India this year.
- Almost 55% of AI professionals in India have a work experience of less than 5
years, same as last year.
- 23% of AI professionals have more than 10 years of work experience. This work
experience is not necessarily in AI but these professionals have transitioned
into AI over time.
- Women participation in AI workforce remains low – only 24% of AI professionals
in India are women.
- On average, AI professionals in India have joined/transitioned to their current role
in the last 3 years.
- 67% AI professionals in India have joined/transitioned to their current role in the
last 2 years.
- These numbers reveal that AI is a relatively emerging technology and a large number of professionals are gradually gravitating toward it.
- Bengaluru leads the cities in terms of the size of the AI ecosystem. 32% of AI professionals in India are working in Bengaluru.
- This is closely followed by Delhi NCR at 22%
- 48% of AI professionals have a Masters/Post Graduate degree.
- 5% of AI professionals in India hold a Ph.D. or a Doctorate degree