Joshimath: Principal Chief Secretary PK Mishra chaired a high-level meeting on Sunday to review the situation on-ground.
Situated in an area that saw a steep rise in construction in the past decades, Joshimath is a small town located in the foothills of Uttarakhand. Residents of the place have been protesting regarding the concern of the land sinking.
A group of experts alerted authorities over the past few years as the land continued to be overburdened by the increase in construction activities leading to ground subsidence. The phenomenon occurs due to the gradual sinking or sudden settling of the earth’s surface caused by the removal or relocation of subsurface components.
- Chief Secretary SS Sandhu and Director General of Police (DGP) Ashok Kumar participated in the meeting of the PMO through video conferencing.
- PK Mishra was apprised in the meeting that Government of India agencies and experts are assisting the State Government to prepare short, medium, and long term plans.
- One team of NDRF and four teams of SDRF have already reached Joshimath.
- Team of experts from the National Disaster Management Authority, National Institute of Disaster Management, Geological Survey of India, IIT Roorkee, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, National Institute of Hydrology & Central Building Research Institute to study and give recommendations
- In a telephonic conversation with the Uttarakhand CM, PM Modi inquired about the steps taken for the safety and rehabilitation of the affected residents.
- Chief Secretary SS Sandhu said that “First of all, this is the effort that no one should be harmed, people should be shifted from where there is a risk.”
- The state government has declared all nine municipal wards as disaster-affected and unsafe for living.
- Soon after the review meeting with the PMO Chief Secretary, DGP and Secretary to Chief Minister RK Meenakshi Sundaram conducted an on-site inspection of landslide areas.
(With Agency Inputs)
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news
For viral videos and Latest trends subscribe to NewsMobile YouTube Channel and Follow us on Instagram