New Delhi: Droupadi Murmu took oath as the 15th President of India on Monday.
The oath-taking ceremony will take place in the Central Hall of Parliament at around 10.15 am, followed by a 21-gun salute.
- President Droupadi Murmu assumes the office of the President at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. Former President Ram Nath Kovind was also present with her.
- Satisfying to me that the people who were devoid of development for years -the poor, Dalits, backward, the tribals- can see me as their reflection. My nomination has blessings of the poor behind it, it’s a reflection of the dreams &capabilities of crores of women: President Murmu
- Reaching the Presidential post is not my personal achievement, it is the achievement of every poor in India. My nomination is evidence that the poor in India can not only dream but also fulfill those dreams: President
- I am the first President of the country who was born in independent India. We will have to speed up our efforts to meet the expectations that our freedom fighters had with the citizens of independent India: President Droupadi Murmu
- President Droupadi Murmu receives thunderous applause at the Central Hall of the Parliament.
- CJI NV Ramana administers the oath of office, President-elect Droupadi Murmu becomes the 15th President of India.
- She is the second woman President of the country, the first-ever tribal woman to hold the highest Constitutional post and the first President to be born in independent India
- Outgoing President Ram Nath Kovind and his wife Savita Kovind extend greetings to President-elect Droupadi Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- President-elect Droupadi Murmu paid homage to the ‘Father of the Nation’ Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat in the national capital.
- Murmu will be escorted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Vice-President and Chairman of the Rajya Sabha M Venkaiah Naidu, Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla to the Central Hall.
- Once Droupadi Murmu reaches there, the National Anthem will be played in the Central Hall. Then, Droupadi Murmu will take the oath of office in the presence of the Chief Justice of India NV Ramana.
- On July 22, the former Jharkhand Governor Murmu registered a historic win over her rival Yashwant Sinha in the Presidential election, becoming the first woman tribal candidate and the second woman in the country to occupy the highest office in the country.
- The NDA’s presidential candidate Droupadi Murmu was officially declared as the 15th President of the country after the conclusion of the counting of votes on Thursday.
- Murmu received 2,824 votes with a value of 6,76,803 while her opponent Yashwant Sinha secured 1,877 votes with a value of 3,80,177. A total of 4,809 MPs and MLAs cast their votes in the polling that took place on July 18.
- Secretary General of Rajya Sabha and the Returning Officer for Presidential Election 2022, PC Mody handed over the certificate to President-elect Droupadi Murmu at her residence in Delhi.
- Murmu commenced her journey in the field of politics in 1997 by joining the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). She was first elected as the councillor of the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat and then went on to become the chairperson of the same panchayat in 2000.
- Later, she also served as the national vice president of the BJP Scheduled Tribe Morcha.
- In 2015, Murmu became the first woman governor of Jharkhand. She also became the first woman tribal leader from Odisha to be appointed as the governor of a state.