New Delhi: In a major announcement, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway has set regulations for the Bharat New Car Assessment Programme on Saturday.
- The Assessment will provide customers with indication levels of protection offered by vehicles.
- Three separate areas will be evaluated namely, Adult Occupant Protection, Child Occupant Protection, and finally, Safety Assists Technologies.
- Automotive Industry Standards (AIS) will perform various tests and provide ratings to vehicles between one to five.
- Bharat New Car Assessment Programme (BNCAP) rule 126E will be included in CMVR (Central Motor Vehicles Rules) confirmed by the ministry.
- The rule will be applicable on Type Approved Vehicles category M1(Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers with eight seats) manufactured or imported into the country.
- The Ministry further added that the “standards align with the global benchmark, beyond the minimum regulatory requirement”.
- The rule will become applicable from 1st April next year.