Baramulla: Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Jammu and Kashmir visit, four terrorists, including a top Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander, have been neutralised so far in the ongoing encounter that broke out in Malwah area of Jammu and Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Thursday, said police.
In the operation, LeT commander Yousuf Kantroo, who was on the list of top 10 most wanted terrorists was neutralised.
- Acting on a specific input, a special team of Budgam Police along with the Army launched a joint cordon and search operation in Malwah area.
- During the search operation as the joint search party reached the suspected spot, the hiding terrorists fired indiscriminately upon them in which four soldiers including one officer received minor injuries. The fire was effectively retaliated leading to an encounter, said Jammu and Kashmir Police.
- Later on, Baramulla Police headed by SSP Baramulla also joined in the operation. One policeman from the Baramulla district also got injured in the encounter and was later on shifted to Army’s base hospital in Srinagar.
- According to Jammu and Kashmir Police, terrorist Yousuf Kantroo earlier joined as an overground worker of the Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) outfit and was arrested in the year 2005.
- Later on, he was released in the year 2008 but he again joined terrorist rank in the year 2017 and started killing innocent civilians, policemen and political workers. Later on he switched from HM to the LeT terror outfit.
(With ANI inputs)