PM Modi had inaugurated the Statue of Unity exactly on October 31st, 2018. The Statue of Unity is built in dedication to Iron Man Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who during the first three years of Indian independence after 1947 served as Deputy Prime Minister, Home Minister, Minister of Information and Minister of State.
The Statue of Unity is the world’s tallest statue that stands 597 ft high.
(Video from our Archives)
Here’s you need to know about the statue
- Facing the Narmada Dam, on the river island called Sadhu Bet near Vadodara, the statue occupies over 20,000 square meters and is be surrounded by a 12 square km artificial lake.
- The Statue of Unity, with its birth, has placed itself at the top of the list of the tallest statues in the world. Before the Statue of Unity, the world’s tallest statue was the Spring Temple Buddha in China at 420 feet, while the Statue of Liberty in the US is 305 ft high.
- This is how the Statue of Unity looks from the Space-
At 597 feet, India’s Statue of Unity is now the tallest statue in the world and clearly seen from space! Oblique SkySat image captured today, November 15, 2018. pic.twitter.com/FkpVoHJKjw
— Planet (@planetlabs) November 15, 2018
- Initially, the total cost of the project construction was estimated to be about Rs 3,001 crore. However, Larsen & Tubro won the contract in October 2014 for its lowest bid of Rs 2,989 crore for the design, construction and maintenance.
- The Indian Railways launched a special train for tourists visiting the Statue of Unity in Gujarat on March 4, 2019.
- The train, which runs under the government’s Bharat Darshan scheme, has a seven-night and eight-day tour package from Chandigarh.
- Time magazine has included the Statue of Unity on its list of 100 important tourist destinations around the world.
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news genie