With 58,419 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, India recorded less than 60,000 fresh infections after 81 days, according to the Union Health Ministry’s data on Sunday.
Top 10 Developments:
1. India witnessed as many as 1576 deaths and 87,619 recoveries in the last 24 hours. With the new cases, the cumulative caseload has climbed to 2,98,81,965 including 7,29,243 active cases.
2. The daily positivity rate in the country stands at 3.22 per cent, while the weekly positivity rate is currently at 3.43 per cent.
3. The daily positivity rate has remained below 5 per cent for 13 consecutive days.
4. As many as 3,86,713 people have succumbed to the COVID-19 infection so far, while the recoveries reached 2,87,66,009.
5. As daily recoveries continue to outnumber the daily new cases for the 38th consecutive day, the recovery rate is currently at 96.27 per cent.
6. According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), a total of 39,10,19,083 samples were tested for COVID-19, up to June 19 out of these, 18,11,446 samples were tested yesterday.
7. The Union Health Ministry informed that 27,66,93,572 vaccine doses have been administered so far under the vaccination drive in the country.
8. As Dubai eases travel curbs for passengers from India, Emirates airline said it will resume flights connecting India, South Africa and Nigeria to the city from June 23.
9. Hundreds of flights have been cancelled and part of a city is under lockdown in Southern China as the province of Guangdong witnesses a rise in COVID-19 cases.
10. Los Angeles’s county health officials said they’ve seen an increase in variants first found in India in the past few weeks, Bloomberg reported. The health department started reviewing tests at labs with data on residents and noticed small numbers of the highly transmissible delta variant, along with a few cases of the related kappa variant, since early April.