A video of a man in a car, distributing alcohol to a group of people, is being shared on social media with a claim that it is from the ongoing farmers’ protest.
“Farmers protests. Free liquor distribution,” the Facebook caption read.
Here’s the link to the above post.
NewsMobile fact-checked the post and found that the video in circulation is old.
We extracted keyframes of the video using InVid Tool and then put the keyframes through Reverse Image Search.
We found that the same video was shared by many Facebook users in April 2020.
However, when we looked for media reports on the latest farm laws which have triggered the ongoing protests, we found that the three agricultural bills were passed in the Parliament in September 2020.
- The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020
- The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020
- The Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- June 5, 2020 – The Government of India promulgated three ordinances relating to agricultural marketing that represented a fundamental reorientation of the existing regulatory framework.
- September 14, 2020 – Ordinances brought to Parliament as legislative bills for discussion, approved during the Monsoon session.
- September 17, 2020 – The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill 2020, Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 and Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill passed in Lok Sabha.
- September 20, 2020 – Bills passed in Rajya Sabha too.
- September 27, 2020 – The bills received presidential assent and were notified in the gazette, leading to the ongoing farmers’ protest.
From the timeline, it is clear that the ordinances were promulgated in June 2020 but the video has been in existence on the internet before that.
Hence, from the above information, it is clear that the post in circulation is misleading.
If you want to fact-check any story, WhatsApp it now on +91 11 7127 9799
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news