1. Globally, the total number of coronavirus cases has surpassed 85.09 million on Saturday, while the deaths have surged to more than 1.84 million, as per Johns Hopkins University.
2. The United Kingdom registered 54,990 COVID-19 cases on Sunday, a drop from 57,725 the day before, according to government figures.
3. The Japanese government is preparing to declare another state of emergency in Tokyo and three neighbouring prefectures, due to the spike in coronavirus infections in the country, Kyodo News reported citing a source on Monday.
4. New Zealand has further tightened border controls amid mounting anxiety about the new strain of coronavirus driving up infections overseas.
5. Argentina registered 5,884 new cases of COVID-19 in the past day, taking the national count to 1,640,718, the health ministry said on Sunday.
6. Colombia registered 9,412 new COVID-19 cases over the past 24 hours, taking the nationwide tally to 1,675,820, health authorities said Sunday.
7. Canada’s COVID-19 cases surpassed 600,000 as of Sunday afternoon, with the total hitting 601,653, including 15,865 deaths, according to CTV.
8. Brazil has registered 293 more deaths from Covid-19, bringing the national death toll to 196,018, the Ministry of Health reported on Sunday.
9. India has granted emergency approval to both the Oxford/AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine and indigenously developed Covaxin, signalling the start of one of the largest Covid-19 immunisation drives in the world.
10. France has recorded 12,489 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, up from the 3,466 reported a day earlier, according to the country’s health ministry.