The overall number of global coronavirus cases has topped 36.8 million, there are36,802,708 confirmed COVID-19 cases across 188 counties, which has led to 1,067,101 deaths, reports the Johns Hopkins Covid-19 tracker.
Here are the top 10 developments this morning:
China joins WHO-backed vaccine programme COVAX rejected by Trump
Anthony Fauci, America’s top infectious disease expert, has identified the September 27 White House ceremony to nominate conservative Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the US Supreme Court as a “super spreader” event.
Drug firm Glenmark Pharmaceuticals on Friday said the addition of antiviral Umifenovir did not demonstrate any significant clinical benefit over Favipiravir alone in moderate COVID-19 patients.
- China on Friday claimed that the coronavirus broke out in the various parts of the world last year but it was the only one to have reported and acted first, refuting the widely-held view that the deadly contagion originated in Wuhan before turning out to be a pandemic.
- The US government on Friday signed an agreement with AstraZeneca Plc worth $486 million to develop and secure supplies of up to 100,000 doses of COVID-19 antibody treatment, a similar class of drugs that was used to treat President Donald Trump.
- Russia has reported more than 12,000 new coronavirus infections, its highest daily increase since the start of the pandemic.The government task force dealing with the outbreak said the 12,126 infections reported Friday took the country’s total close to 1.3 million. Russia currently has the world’s fourth-largest number of confirmed cases and has reported over 22,000 deaths.
- William Foege, a famed epidemiologist and the former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Thursday that President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence had “their knees on the neck of the public health community,” and called on the current C.D.C. director to stand up to them — even at the risk of getting fired.
- In Germany, the head of the federal institute responsible for tracking the coronavirus warned on Thursday that the country could soon see an “uncontrolled” spread of the virus. “It is possible that we see more than 10,000 new cases per day,” the official, Lothar Wieler, who leads the Robert Koch Institute, said at a news conference.
- Madrid’s highest regional court on Thursday annulled a lockdown imposed by Spain’s central government on the capital region.
- Nepal’s Ministry of Health and Population has urged people in the country to adopt more precautionary measures against Covid-19 as the national capital Kathmandu logged more than 10,000 cases in a week.
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news
For viral videos and Latest trends subscribe to NewsMobile YouTube Channel and Follow us on Instagram