Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on Sunday issued ‘post COVID-19 management protocol’, encouraging the use of Chyawanaprash, Yoga Asanas, daily gargling and walks to those who have recovered from coronavirus COVID-19.
The Health Ministry also encouraged the use of a number of herbal remedies, such as ‘Ayush Kwath’, ‘Samshamani vati’, ‘mulethi powder’ and warm milk with haldi.
The Health Ministry tweeted, “A holistic approach is required for follow up care and wellbeing of all post-Covid recovering patients.”
Health Ministry issues Post #COVID19 Management Protocol.
— Ministry of Health (@MoHFW_INDIA) September 13, 2020
ALSO READ: COVID-19 LIVE | With 94,372 new cases in 24 hrs, India’s tally crosses 47 lakh-mark; toll at 78,586
Post-COVID Follow Up Protocol
(i) At individual level
• Continue COVID appropriate behaviour (use of mask, hand & respiratory hygiene, physical distancing).
• Drink adequate amount of warm water (if not contra-indicated).
• Take immunity promoting AYUSH medicine (details of medicines and
their dosage is at Annexure I) – To be practiced and prescribed by a
qualified practitioner of AYUSH.
• If health permits, regular household work to be done. Professional work
to be resumed in graded manner.
• Mild/ moderate exercise
o Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and Meditation, as much as health permits or as prescribed.
o Breathing exercises as prescribed by treating physician.
o Daily morning or evening walk at a comfortable pace as tolerated.
• Balanced nutritious diet, preferably easy to digest freshly cooked soft diet.
• Have adequate sleep and rest.
• Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.
• Take regular medications as advised for COVID and also for managing comorbidities, if any. Doctor to be always informed about all medicines that the individual is taking (allopathic/AYUSH) so as to avoid prescription interaction.
• Self-health monitoring at home – temperature, blood pressure, blood sugar (especially, if diabetic), pulse oximetry etc. (if medically advised)
• If there is persistent dry cough / sore throat, do saline gargles and take steam inhalation. The addition of herbs/spices for gargling/steam inhalation (refer to Annexure I). Cough medications, should be taken on advice of medical doctor or qualified practitioner of Ayush.
• Look for early warning signs like high grade fever, breathlessness, Sp02 <95%, unexplained chest pain, new onset of confusion, focal weakness.
(ii) At the level of community
• Recovered individuals to share their positive experiences with their
friends and relatives using social media, community leaders, opinion
leaders, religious leaders for creating awareness, dispelling myths and
• Take support of community based self-help groups, civil society
organizations, and qualified professionals for recovery and rehabilitation
process (medical, social, occupational, livelihood).
• Seek psycho-social support from peers, community health workers,
counsellor. If required seek mental health support service.
• Participate in group sessions of Yoga, Meditation etc. while taking all due
precautions like physical distancing.
In healthcare facilities
- The first follow-up visit should be within 7 days after discharge, preferably at the hospital where he/she underwent treatment.
- Subsequent treatment may be with the nearest qualified allopathic/AYUSH practitioners/medical facility of other systems of medicine.
- Patients in home isolation should visit the nearest health facility if they complain of persisting symptoms.