The number of coronavirus cases recorded around the world has climbed to 25.66 million, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker. Deaths from the virus stand at 855,578. However, over 17 million people have been recovered from the virus.
Here are the top 10 global developments this morning:
1. Brazil has recorded 42,659 new cases of coronavirus and 1,215 deaths in the past 24 hours, taking the total cases to 3,950,931, the health ministry said on Tuesday.
2. The Trump administration has said it will not work with other countries to develop and distribute a Covid-19 vaccine. It said it did not want to be constrained by “multilateral organizations influenced by the corrupt World Health Organization and China”.
3. Germany has seen its new cases rise by 1,256 to 244,855, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Wednesday.
4. Australia’s economy has plunged into its first recession in nearly 30 years, as it suffers the economic fallout from the coronavirus. Gross domestic product (GDP) shrunk 7% in the April-to-June quarter compared to the previous three months.
5. Mexico recorded 827 new deaths from COVID-19 on Tuesday with another 6,476 new cases, the health ministry said. The country now has 65,241 fatalities and 606,036 cases.
6. Confirmed deaths in Colombia due to COVID-19 passed 20,000 on Tuesday, the health ministry said in its daily update, while it has recorded more than 620,000 cases.
7. Schools across Europe started to reopen on Tuesday after being closed for months. Tens of millions of people, most wearing face masks, have headed back to class in England, France, Belgium, Poland and Russia.
8. Fresh eight COVID-19 cases reported in mainland China up to midnight on Tuesday, the health ministry said on Wednesday morning. All cases were imported infections involving travellers from overseas, marking the 17th consecutive day with no local infection.
9. South Korea has recorded 267 new cases as of midnight on Tuesday, a slight increase over the day before. Overall, South Korea now has 20,449 confirmed cases and 326 deaths.
10. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has recorded over 500 new COVID-19 infections for the second successive day, after a rise in cases in the Middle East financial hub.