The number of coronavirus cases in India rose by 55,079 to 27,02,742 on Tuesday.
Here are the top developments in India this morning:
1. Union Home Minister Amit Shah was on Monday night admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Delhi.
Shah, who had contracted the infection, had tested negative on August 14 after a 12-day stay at Gurugram’s Medanta Hospital. He was under home isolation after being discharged from the hospital.
2. The number of coronavirus cases in India rose by 55,079 to 27,02,742 on Tuesday. The toll rose to 51,797 after 826 more deaths were reported in the last 24 hours. As many as 19,77,779 people in India have recovered from the coronavirus so far.
3. Odisha’s Rural Development and Labour Minister Susanta Singh tested positive for the coronavirus on Monday. Apart from Singh, five MLAs and one MP in Odisha have tested positive for the infection so far.
4. Biocon Chairperson Kiran Mazumdar Shaw also announced that she had contracted the infection.
5. The Airports Authority of India on Monday said that the Goa airport saw a steady rise in flight movement since April. “From 27 flights in April to nearly 12 times that number in in July, these are signs of normalcy returning,” AAI wrote on Twitter.
6. The Indian Council of Medical Research says it tested almost 9 lakh samples for Covid-19 on Monday. So far, 3,09,41,264 samples have been tested.
— ICMR (@ICMRDELHI) August 18, 2020
7. Mizoram’s coronavirus tally stands at 815 as of 7 am on Tuesday.
The total number of cases rises to 815 in Mizoram, including 372 discharged cases and 443 active cases: State Health Department, Mizoram pic.twitter.com/Oa7AwNdFFI
— ANI (@ANI) August 18, 2020
8. The Union health ministry says India tested a record 8.97 lakh samples for the coronavirus in the last 24 hours.
A new peak of 8.97 lakh #COVID19 tests were done in the last 24 hours. Even with such a high level of testing, the positivity has remained low i.e. 8.81% compared to the weekly national average i.e. 8.84%.
— Ministry of Health (@MoHFW_INDIA) August 18, 2020
9. The Army’s Research and Referral hospital in Delhi, where former President Pranab Mukherjee is being treated, says he remains on ventilator support and there is no change in his condition, PTI reports. Mukherjee had tested positive for Covid-19 last week.
10. The number of coronavirus cases in the Maharashtra police rises to 12,495 as 112 personnel test positive for the infection in the last 24 hours, ANI reports.