The number of coronavirus cases recorded worldwide has passed 19.7 million, according to Johns Hopkins University COVID tracker. There are now 19,780,612 cases worldwide and 729,768 have died so far. However, more than 12 million have recovered from the virus.
Here are the top 10 global developments this morning:
1. New Zealand has reported its 101st day in a row with no recorded community transmission of COVID-19 from an unknown source. All 21 active cases of the coronavirus have been diagnosed in travellers returning to New Zealand from other countries.
2. China reported on Monday 49 new coronavirus cases in the mainland for August 9, compared with 23 cases a day earlier, the health authority said. The National Health Commission said 35 of the new infections were imported cases. There were no new deaths.
3. Britain’s confirmed coronavirus cases rose by 1,062 on Sunday, going over 1,000 for the first time since late June. Official data showed Sunday’s reported cases are 304 higher than the 758 new cases reported on Saturday.
4. Greece Greek authorities have announced a record daily number of 203 new coronavirus cases, with one death. The total number of cases is now 5,623, with 212 deaths.
5. The US has passed 5 million confirmed cases of coronavirus, the highest in the world. The US death toll stands at 162,919, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker.
6. Mexico’s health ministry reported on Sunday 4,376 new confirmed coronavirus infections and 292 additional fatalities, bringing the total in the country to 480,278 cases and 52,298 deaths.
7. The Australian state of Victoria has recorded 322 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, the state’s health department said on Monday.
8. Brazil reported 23,010 new cases of the novel coronavirus and 572 deaths from the disease caused by the virus in the past 24 hours, the health ministry said on Sunday.
9. The World Health Organisation has renewed its invite to countries to join its COVAX facility, an international alliance aimed at accelerating the development and manufacture of novel coronavirus vaccines, and ensuring equitable access to all.
10. Single-day spike of 62,064 cases and 1,007 deaths reported in India, in the last 24 hours. The COVID tally has surged to 22,15,075, including 6,34,945 active cases, 15,35,744 cured/discharged/migrated and 44,386 deaths: Ministry of Health