Kolkata family forced to freeze COVID patient’s body at home after authorities deny help

In a shocking incident, a family in Kolkata was forced to keep the body of a 71-year-old family member at home for two days, after local authorities denied any sort of help to remove the dead body.

The family members had to buy a freezer to keep the body inside it, to prevent it from decomposing.

A resident of Raja Rammohan Roy Sarani in Central Kolkata, the deceased man had been suffering from fever before his deaths and had a few symptoms of COVID-19. The family’s general physician had asked him to get a COVID-19 test.

ALSO READ: COVID-19 | Top 10 global developments this Thursday morning

On Monday, the family took him to the private lab around 10:30am and got him tested. On his return, his situation deteriorated drastically and around 2:30pm, he breathed his last.

The family’s general physician arrived at their residence immediately but refused to issue a death certificate as the patient’s test report was still awaited.
The physician later advised them to go to the local police station. However, the police refused to help them remove the dead body and instead, shared a number of the state health department which remained unreachable. They asked the family to contact the local councillor for further help. To the family’s disbelief, the local councillor also refused to help.

The dead body remained at home for two days – on Monday and Tuesday. It was only on Tuesday night, that the family of the deceased was informed that he had tested positive for COVID-19.

The news of the deceased testing positive sent shock waves across the residential building as the family members were moving in and out of the building seeking help and reaching out to agencies to remove the dead body from their home during the two days post the death. It was only when the word spread out and was covered by some local channels, that the body was eventually removed at 3:30 pm on Wednesday.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here