COVID-19 | Railways to run 2600 Shramik Special Trains in next 10 days to transport 36 lakh migrants

Representational Image

The Ministry of Railways in its media briefing on Saturday, announced that it will be operating 2600 more Shramik Special Trains in next 10 days as per the needs of State Governments. About 36 lakh migrant workers will travel in these trains.

Here are the key takeaways from the briefing-

– Railways has decided to operationalise 2600 more Shramik Special Trains in next 10 days across the country as per the needs of State Governments. This initiative is expected to benefit 36 lakh stranded passengers across the country.

– Shramik Special Trains started on 1st May. Free meals and drinking water being provided to all the passengers. Social distancing and hygiene protocols are being followed in trains as well as the stations.

– More than 2,600 special trains have run till date, more than 35 lakh migrants have availed the benefits of these trains.

– Day-wise breakup of Shramik Special trains with details of number of passengers they have carried.

– 80% of the train journeys have been undertaken by the migrant labourers of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.

– 85% of expenditure of Shramik Special trains being borne by Centre, while the rest 15% is being paid by the states in form of fares.

– In an effort towards returning to normalcy, Ministry of Railways will run 200 Mail Express trains starting 1st June.

– The ticket booking window counters at stations are to be opened.

– Railway Ministry has started special passenger trains since 12th May to carry passengers from Delhi to 15 major cities.

ALSO READ: COVID-19 | With over 6,600 cases, India witnesses record rise for…

– 5,000 coaches have been converted into COVID care centres, with 80,000 beds; 50% of these coaches are being used for for Shramik special trains, since they aren’t being utilised for the former purpose.

– 17 railway hospitals have been turned into COVID-19 care hospitals.

– Ministry of Railways has had significant contribution in the effort to domestically produce Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) and sanitisers. It has produced 1.2 lakh coveralls and 1.4 lakh litres sanitiser.

– Uninterrupted freight movement operations by Ministry of Railways have ensured delivery of 9.7 million tonnes of food grain between 1st April and 22nd May; 3255 new Parcel Special Trains have been run since 22nd March.

– Union territories advised to check through publicity the possibilities of rumour-mongering regarding shortage of food, essential commodities.

For constant updates on COVID-19, tune in to the LIVE UPDATES counter with NewsMobile!

For viral videos and Latest trends subscribe to NewsMobile YouTube Channel and Follow us on Instagram


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here