India has recorded the highest ever spike of 5,611 COVID-19 cases and 140 deaths in the last 24 hours.
The total number of cases in the country now stands at 1,06,750, including 61,149 active cases and 3,303 deaths. However, 42,297 people have been recovered so far from the deadly virus.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. Maharashtra reported 2,100 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, taking the tally to 37,158: Health Minister Rajesh Tope.
2. India has so far about 0.2 COVID-19 deaths per lakh population as against the global figure of 4.1, the Union health ministry said as the number of fatalities due to coronavirus infection in the country rose to 3,163 on Tuesday.
3. Indian Railways to run 200 non-AC trains from 1st June every day as per the time table; online booking for these to begin soon: Railways Minister Piyush Goyal
4. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has asked states to allow plying of more trains to ferry migrant workers, adding that more clarity is needed about the departure of trains or buses.
5. At least 688 people tested COVID-19 positive in Tamil Nadu on Tuesday, taking the tally to 12,448. Chennai reported 552 new cases.
6. Assam recorded its highest single-day spike with as many as 39 people testing positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday.
7. Eight new COVID-19 positive cases have been reported in Goa on Tuesday, taking the total number of cases 46.
8. 323 new positive cases have been reported in Uttar Pradesh, taking the total number of positive cases to 4926. The death toll stands at 135: State Health Department
9. 193 positive cases and 10 deaths reported in the last 24 hours in Pune district. The death toll is at 221 while total positive cases are 4370: Health Department, Pune
10. Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan is set to take charge as the chairman of the World Health Organization Executive Board. Executive Board meeting of the WHO will be held on 22nd May where India would be elected to the board.