Globally, the total number of coronavirus cases has surpassed 46.34 lakh while the death toll from Covid-19 has risen to 3.11 lakh, according to latest figures from Johns Hopkins University.
Here are the top developments this morning:
1. Globally, more than 4.6 million people have been infected and more than 311,000 have died from COVID-19, according to Johns Hopkins University. About 1.8 million people have recovered, according to another coronavirus monitor, Worldometers.
2. Former President Barack Obama on Saturday criticised American leaders over the handling of the coronavirus response, telling college graduates in an online commencement address that the pandemic shows many officials “aren’t even pretending to be in charge”.
The US is the worst hit country while the death toll in the country has crossed 88,000.
3. Mexico registered 47,144 cases of coronavirus on Saturday, with the country’s death toll rising to 5,045, health authorities said.
4. Sudan’s Health Ministry has reported the country’s highest one-day tally of coronavirus infections, with 325 new COVID-19 patients and six deaths.
Saturday’s figures have taken the country’s tally to 2,289 confirmed cases, including 97 fatalities, the ministry said. A total of 222 were discharged after recovering.
5. Turkey’s health ministry says 41 more people have died from COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 4,096. The death rate is the lowest registered since the end of March.
6. South Korea added 13 new cases of the new coronavirus on Sunday with nightclub-linked infections showing signs of a slowdown over the weekend, Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday quoting health officials.
The new cases, detected as of the end of Saturday, brought the country’s total to 11,050, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC)
7. Mainland China reported five new confirmed COVID-19 cases for May 16, down from eight the previous day, Reuters news agency reported on Sunday quoting the National Health Commission (NHC).
The number of confirmed cases in the mainland stands at 82,947 and the death toll at 4,634.
8. Venezuela is reporting its biggest one-day increase in confirmed coronavirus cases since the pandemic hit the South American nation, with 45 new cases bringing the total number of cases to 504 with 10 deaths.
9. The number of deaths in Washington state because of the new coronavirus has reached 1,000.
The Washington State Department of Health on Saturday added eight more deaths and listed the total number of confirmed cases at 18,288.
10. The Robert Kock Institute reported on Sunday at least 583 new cases in Germany, bringing to 174,355 the total number of cases in the country.
For constant updates on COVID-19, tune in to the LIVE UPDATES counter with NewsMobile!