India witnessed a spike of 3,970 new positive COVID-19 cases and 103 deaths in the last 24 hours, according to the latest data released by the Health Ministry on Saturday morning.
The total number of positive cases in the country now climbed to 85,940, including 53,035 active cases and 30,153 cured cases.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this Saturday:
1. From May 18, there will be no curfew in Punjab, but lockdown will continue till May 31, Chief Minister Amarinder Singh said, adding that, the opening of maximum shops and small businesses will also be allowed from May 18.
2. 884 new COVID-19 positive cases reported in Mumbai today, taking the total number of cases to 18396. While 4806 patients have discharged till date. The death toll stands at 696: Municipal Corporation Greater Mumbai
3. Rolling out the fourth tranche of announcements related to the Self-reliant India Mission, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman today announced “structural reforms” in the sectors of coal, minerals, defence production, airspace management, airports, MRO, power distribution companies in UTs, space, and atomic energy.
4. Hours after Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced structural reforms as part of COVID economic measures, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said these will create many business opportunities.
Important sectors such as coal, minerals, defence, aviation, space and atomic energy have been covered in the announcements by the FM today. The measures and reforms announced will create many business opportunities and contribute to economic transformation.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 16, 2020
5. The Centre has launched an online dashboard to monitor and facilitate the smooth movement of migrant workers and their contact-tracing during lockdown across the country.
— Spokesperson, Ministry of Home Affairs (@PIBHomeAffairs) May 16, 2020
6. A total of 15 Railway Ministry officials have been placed in 14-day quarantine after a langoor handler in Rail Bhawan tested positive for Covid-19 on Thursday.
7. On the third consecutive day, Delhi recorded over 400 cases in a day with 438 fresh cases reported in the last 24 hours. The total number of cases in Delhi crossed the 9,000-mark and was recorded at 9,333 as of Saturday. The death toll stands at 129.
8. India’s COVID-19 tally has now exceeded that of China’s official figures. However, India’s confirmed coronavirus deaths are still well below China’s. India has 85,940 confirmed coronavirus cases so far, compared to China’s 84,038.
9. Railways ready to run ‘Shramik Special’ trains from any district; district collectors to prepare lists of stranded labourers: Piyush Goyal.
10. 195 fresh cases of COVID-19 and three deaths recorded in Uttar Pradesh in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of cases to 4140 and death toll to 95. There are 1718 active cases in the state: Uttar Pradesh Health Department