Tamil Nadu with over 9000 cases of COVID-19 continues to be worst affected state in the southern part of India.
Here are all the major developments from the south of the VIndhyas this Thursday evening:
1. Karnataka has indicated that post May 17, gyms, fitness centres, golf courses and other establishments may be granted permission to reopen. However, a strict health and safety protocol will be in place and will have to be followed by these establishments.
2. Almost 70 policepersons in the district of Wayanad in Kerala including its Chief SP R Illango have decided to quarantine themselves after three policemen tested positive for the virus on Wednesday.
3. In a sign of changing political equation in the state, former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandra Babu Naidu has hailed the economic package announced by PM Narendra Modi and called for a special package for the state. The two estranged parties fell out due to centre’s ‘indifference’ to the state and refusing to grant it the ‘special status’.
4. All the Road Transport Corporation employees in Karnataka have decided to contribute a total amount of Rs 9.85 crores to the CM Relief Fund.
5. The Kerala government has forwarded an amendment to the governor which would increase the price of liquor in the states by Rs 70-130 a bottle. An amendment to the Kerala General Sales Tax Act would need to be cleared. The opposition Congress has slammed this move. The government also decided to sell liquor in sealed bottles.
6. The Chairperson of the Tamil Nadu government constituted economic revival committee and former RBI Governor C Rangarajan has said that the economic assessment of the state and its potential losses can be estimated only after the lockdown has been lifted. The manufacturing sector of the state has been negatively affected.
7. Chaos prevailed in the Bengaluru City Railway station over mandatory institutional quarantine. May people who returned from the special operated New Delhi-Bengaluru train resisted being taken to the quarantine centres.
8. A 27 year old crew member of a ship that arrived from Iraq has tested positive at the Chennai port area. He is an Indian national and will be quarantined.
9. The folk artists in Tamil Nadu who are highly revered have now reached out to the State government and sought assistance due to lack of income opportunities during the period of lockdown.