With 3,604 new cases and 87 deaths in last 24 hours, the total number of coronavirus cases in India has increased to 70,756 on Tuesday.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. 3,604 new cases and 87 deaths in last 24 hours, the total number of coronavirus cases in India has increased to 70,756 on Tuesday, while the death toll has surged to 2,293, according to the latest data by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Of the total number of cases, there are 46,008 active cases, while 22,455 people have been cured and discharged from hospitals.
2. Maharashtra remains the worst affected state with 23,401 cases and 868 fatalities. A total of 4,786 people have been cured. Gujarat is placed second with 8,541 cases and 513 deaths. Tamil Nadu has recorded 8,002 cases with 53 fatalities.
Delhi has also recorded 7,233 cases and 73 fatalities till Tuesday morning.
Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh has also recorded over 3,500 cases each with 221, 113, and 80 deaths respectively.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his meet with Chief Ministers indicated that lockdown will be eased after May 17.
4. A massive repatriation operation referred to as Vande Bharat Mission is being carried out to bring back Indians stranded abroad. On Tuesday, at least three flights will operate to London, Dhaka, Manila from Mumbai and Delhi respectively.
5. Meanwhile, the Indian Railways on Tuesday will resume its train services, initially with 15 pairs of trains. These trains will run as special trains from New Delhi Station connecting Dibrugarh, Agartala, Howrah, Patna, Bilaspur, Ranchi, Bhubaneswar, Secunderabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram, Madgaon, Mumbai Central, Ahmedabad and Jammu Tawi.
6. Earlier, special shramik trains were run by several state governments to help stranded migrant workers reach their home state, and good trains carrying essential services were allowed to operate.
7. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar says he had a “productive discussion” on coronavirus with his counterparts from the US, Australia, Brazil, Japan, Israel, and South Korea via video conference.
A broad-based virtual meeting on responding to the #CoronaVirus challenge.
— Dr. S. Jaishankar (@DrSJaishankar) May 11, 2020
8. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday sought a national Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to reboot economic activities in the country. “To reboot the economic activities, the Union Government may come up with a National Standard Operating Procedure (SOP). Our production lines are interlinked so also our value addition process cutting across state boundaries. A national SOP will guide in a unified response in rebooting economy,” he said. (IANS input)
9. Five Air India pilots who tested positive for coronavirus have now tested negative
10. The ICMR/NCDC is going to conduct a population-based sero survey in selected districts of country. The aim is to monitor trend in prevalence of SARS-COV2 infection at district level. Throat/nasal swabs to be collected for RT-PCR tests: Health Ministry