India’s tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases has climbed to 67,152, including 2,206 deaths and 20,916 recoveries. In the last 24 hours, India recorded 4,213 cases in the biggest single-day spike. Total active cases are 42,029.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold another meeting with state Chief Ministers via video-conference on Monday afternoon at 3 pm. This will be his fifth meeting with CMs to discuss the post-lockdown strategy.
2. The Indian Railways will gradually restart passenger train operations from Tuesday, May 12, initially with 15 pairs of trains (30 return journeys).
3. Booking for reservation in these trains will start at 4 pm today, and will be available only on the IRCTC website (https://www.irctc.co.in/)
4. Railways Minister Piyush Goyal had appealed to all states to permit the operation of migrant special trains so that the stranded can reach home in the next three to four days.
As per the directions of Hon’ble PM @NarendraModi ji, Railways is fully geared up to run 300 Shramik Special trains everyday at short notice since the last six days.
— Piyush Goyal (@PiyushGoyal) May 10, 2020
5. National Institute of Virology, Pune has successfully developed the 1st indigenous anti-SARS-CoV-2 human IgG ELISA test kit for antibody detection of COVID-19. It will play a critical role in surveillance of proportion of population exposed to the infection: Union Health Minister
National Institute of Virology, Pune has successfully developed the 1st indigenous anti-SARS-CoV-2 human IgG ELISA test kit for antibody detection of #COVID19 .
— Dr Harsh Vardhan (@drharshvardhan) May 10, 2020
6. 1,278 new COVID-19 cases and 53 deaths reported in the state on Sunday. The total number of positive cases in the state rose to 22,171: Maharashtra Health Department
7. The number of coronavirus cases reached 3,614 in Madhya Pradesh, with 157 new cases reported on Sunday. Out of the total cases, 1,676 patients have recovered while 215 others succumbed to the infection: Madhya Pradesh Health Department
8. 81 more inmates at Arthur Road jail tested positive for COVID-19, taking the total number to infected inmates to 58, apart from 26 jail staffers, who had also tested positive.
9. Tamil Nadu on Sunday reported 669 confirmed cases of Covid-19, taking the total number of cases to 7,204.
10. In Punjab, 14 health officials, including at least two doctors, posted in Ropar district tested positive for novel coronavirus.