With the lockdown extended by two more weeks and the country witnessing a surge in cases, there have been a slew of developments related to COVID-19 in India.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this Monday morning-
1. Total confirmed COVID-19 cases in India have risen to 42,533, the reported active cases in India now stand at 29,453, according to the latest update from the Union Health Ministry.
2. The death toll in India due to the novel coronavirus pandemic has risen to 1,373, as many as 11,707 COVID-19 patients have been cured and discharged so far.
3. With 12,974 confirmed cases of COVID-19 so far, Maharashtra remains worst-affected, followed by Gujarat (5,428) and Delhi (4,549).
4. With 12,974 confirmed novel coronavirus cases, Maharashtra remains the severely-affected state in the country. According to the latest data from the Union Health Ministry, the state has reported 548 COVID-19 deaths so far
5. With 5,428 confirmed novel coronavirus cases, Gujarat remains the second-most affected state in the country. According to the latest data from the Union Health Ministry, the state has reported 290 COVID-19 deaths so far. As many as 1,042 patients have recovered.
6. With 4,549 confirmed novel coronavirus cases, Delhi remains severely affected. According to the latest data from the Union Health Ministry, the national capital has reported 64 COVID-19 deaths so far. As many as 1,362 patients have recovered.
7. News reports suggest that the Indian National Congress’ Pradesh Congress Committees (PCCs) will be bearing the cost for the rail travel of migrant workers and labourers. More details are awaited.
Statement Of Congress President Smt. Sonia Gandhi
The Indian National Congress has
taken a decision that every Pradesh
Congress Committee shall bear the cost for the rail travel of every needy worker and migrant labourer and shall take necessary steps in this regard pic.twitter.com/kxruKa0xgI
— Congress (@INCIndia) May 4, 2020
8. The Indian Railways has issued a set of guidelines for Shramik Special trains being run to ferry the migrants stranded across the country, saying the trains will ply only if they have 90 percent occupancy and the “states should collect the ticket fare”, inviting fierce criticism for charging for their services.
9. The first day of India’s third lockdown extension has begun, with eased restrictions to facilitate the economy. Around 150 liquor shops located outside containment zones in Delhi are likely to open from Monday.
Karnataka: People seen standing in a queue outside a liquor shop in Hubli as state government permits sale of liquor between 9 am to 7 pm from today. pic.twitter.com/fYSHV3WZzv
— ANI (@ANI) May 4, 2020
10. The number of COVID-19 cases in the Border Security Force (BSF) yesterday jumped to 54 after 37 more personnel tested positive for the disease.
The fresh cases were reported from a unit of the BSF’s 126th battalion in Delhi and from Tripura.
Modi-government has extended the nationwide lockdown by 2 more weeks till May 17, albeit with some relaxations in green and orange zones. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has also issued new guidelines to regulate several activities during the lockdown 3.0 duration. All domestic and international air travel, movement of trains, metro and inter-state buses, except those allowed by the MHA, will be banned during lockdown 3.0.
For constant updates on COVID-19, tune in to the LIVE UPDATES counter with NewsMobile!