With India witnessing a sharp surge in the number of confirmed positive cases, the country has seen a slew of developments related to COVID-19.
Here are the top developments in India for today-
1. With 2,411 new cases and 71 new deaths, India records highest single-day spike. The total number of cases in India now stands at 37,776 while the death toll has risen to 1,223, as per the latest figures from the Health Ministry on Saturday evening.
2. On a positive note, the number of cures/discharged cases across the country has now crossed the 10,000-mark.
3. In a special gesture to honour the frontline workers who are tirelessly giving their all to combat the growing menace of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country, the Indian Armed forces on Sunday will pay special tributes to our warriors.
4. Justice Ajay Kumar Tripathi, Lokpal judicial member and former Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court, succumbs to COVID-19.
5. 790 new COVID-19 positive cases and 36 deaths reported in Maharashtra today, taking the total number of cases to 12,296 and death toll to 521. 121 patients have been discharged today, while total 2,000 patients have been discharged till date.
6. 106 persons have tested positive for COVID-19 today in Rajasthan taking the total number of positive cases to 2,772. Six deaths have been reported today; death toll rises to 68.
ALSO READ: COVID-19 | NewsMobile Positive Pulse
7. Antiviral drug -Remdesivir- is next big thing in fight against COVID-19, says former Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) DG Dr Nirmal Ganguly.
He said, “in trials, it was found that Remdesivir helps reduce patients’ hospital stay periods&prevent them from going to ventilators. However, mortality difference was not significant. It didn’t show any severe reactions in patients.”
“United States has given permission for its compassionate use (in treatment of COVID-19). The synthesis of Remdesivir is not difficult. If Gilead allows and licenses it, we can make it available in India”, he added.
8. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi alleged that ‘the Aarogya Setu app is a sophisticated surveillance system, outsourced to a private operator with no institutional oversight and raises data security and privacy concerns.’
In response to his tweet, Union Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad denied the allegations.
9. Himachal Pradesh govt has decided to increase the relaxation in the curfew to five hours from Monday in the state.
10. 19 new COVID-19 positive cases have been reported in Haryana today; taking the total number of positive cases to 376
For constant updates on COVID-19, tune in to the LIVE UPDATES counter with NewsMobile!