With the death toll now beyond 1000 in India and the lockdown nearing its end date, the country is witnessing a slew of developments.
Here are the top 10 developments of the day-
1. India reported 1,813 new cases and 71 deaths in the last 24 hours.
2. The total number of cases now stands at 31,787 with the death toll now at 1008.
– Active cases: 22,982
– Cured/discharged cases: 7,797
3. MHA held a comprehensive review meeting on the lockdown situation today. There have been tremendous gains and improvement in the situation due to lockdown till now, as per MHA. To ensure that these gains are not squandered away, lockdown guidelines should be strictly observed till 3rd May. New guidelines to fight COVID-19 will come into effect from 4th May, which shall give considerable relaxations to many districts. Details regarding this shall be communicated in the days to come.
4. MHA allows movement of migrant workers, tourists, students etc. stranded at various places.
5. The University Grants Commission (UGC), the higher education regulator, has released exam details and academic calendar today. The main points are as follows-
– Intermediate Semester Students will be graded based on the internal assessment of the present and previous semester. In states where the COVID-19 situation has normalized, there will be exams in the month of July.
– For terminal semester students exams will be held in the month of July. A COVID-19 cell will be constituted in every university which will be empowered to solve the issues of students related to academic calendar and examinations.
– The universities may conduct the practical examinations and Viva-Voce Examinations through Skype or other meeting apps, and in case of intermediate semesters, the practical examinations may be conducted during the ensuing semesters.
– Universities may adopt alternative and simplified modes and methods of examinations to complete the process in shorter period of time. Universities may adopt efficient and innovative modes of examinations by reducing the time from 3 hours to 2 hours.
– The Academic Session 2020-21 may commence from 01.8.2020 for old students and from 01.09.2020 for fresh students.
6. 32 deaths and 597 new COVID-19 cases have been reported in Maharashtra today. Total positive cases in the state near the 10,000-mark as they now stand at 9,915.
7. In the last 24 hours, 308 new COVID-19 positive cases were reported in Gujarat, taking the total number of positive cases in the state to 4,082, including 527 cured/ discharged and 197 deaths.
8. Number of active cases of COVID-19 rises to 83 in Haryana. 225 patients have been cured/discharged while three others succumbed to the infection so far.
9. As per statements from the Srinagar District Magistrate, it will be mandatory to wear face mask/face covering at all public places from 1st May.
10. 74 new cases of COVID-19 and 3 new deaths have been reported in Rajasthan today, taking the total number of cases to 2,438 including 55 deaths. 814 patients have recovered from the disease till date.
For constant updates on COVID-19, tune in to the LIVE UPDATES counter with NewsMobile!