The University Grants Commission (UGC), the higher education regulator, has today released the annual examination details and a new academic calendar for the universities and colleges which have been shut due to the coronavirus lockdown.
Here are the key pointers-
– The Academic Session 2020-21 may commence from August 1 for old students and from September 1 for fresh students.
– Intermediate Semester Students will be graded based on the internal assessment of the present and previous semester. In states where the COVID-19 situation has normalized, there will be exams in the month of July.
– For terminal semester students exams will be held in the month of July. A COVID-19 cell will be constituted in every university which will be empowered to solve the issues of students related to academic calendar and examinations.
– The universities may conduct the practical examinations and Viva-Voce Examinations through Skype or other meeting apps, and in case of intermediate semesters, the practical examinations may be conducted during the ensuing semesters.
ALSO READ: COVID-19 | Top 10 developments in India this Wednesday
– Universities may adopt alternative and simplified modes and methods of examinations to complete the process in shorter period of time. Universities may adopt efficient and innovative modes of examinations by reducing the time from 3 hours to 2 hours.
– The timing of examination may be considered appropriately by universities. In case the situation does not appear to be normal in view of COVID-19, in order to maintain social distancing for safety and health of students, grading of students could be composite of 50% marks on the basis of the pattern of internal evaluation adopted by universities and the remaining 50% marks can be awarded on the basis of performance in previous semester only
– Universities may follow a six-day week pattern and devise proforma to record travel or stay history of staff and students for the lockdown period. Extension of six months will be granted to MPhil, PhD students and viva-voice be conducted through video conference.