With India witnessing a new steep rate of rise in cases, the COVID-19 numbers have now crossed the 26,000-mark.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this Sunday morning-
1. There has been a spike of 1990 new COVID-19 positive cases & 49 deaths in the last 24 hours, reports Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
2. India’s total number of Coronavirus positive cases rises to 26,496
Active Cases – 19868
Deaths – 824
Migrated – 1
3. Maharashtra has the highest number of coronavirus cases and has crossed 7,000.
4. There are now eight states that have recorded more than 1,000 cases. Andhra Pradesh is the latest state to cross the 1,000 mark
5. Fifty-eight new cases have been reported in Rajasthan so far. There have been 11 cases in Ajmer, 15 in Jodhpur, 7 in Jaipur, 3 in Kota and 20 in Nagaur. Hanumagarh and Jhalawar have reported one case each.
6. As the number of cases increase, five states said that want the lockdown to be extended after Delhi proposed an extension till May 16. Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Punjab and Odisha have all voted for an extension of the lockdown that is scheduled to be lifted on May 3.
7. Federation of Resident Doctors’ Association asks for accommodation facilities for resident doctors who have been asked to home-quarantine.
Federation of Resident Doctors’ Association writes to Union Health Minister over accommodation facilities for resident doctors advised for home quarantine. The letter states, “It will be an important precautionary measure to control the spread of the virus.” #COVID19 pic.twitter.com/oeLsaiFfrM
— ANI (@ANI) April 26, 2020
8. Chief of Defence Staff Bipin Rawat has said that it is the responsibility of the armed forces to fight against coronavirus. He said patience and discipline can go a long way to fight coronavirus.
9. Varanasi ghats look deserted on the occasion of ‘Akshaya Tritiya’, amid lockdown to prevent the spread of Coronavirus
Varanasi ghats look deserted on the occasion of ‘Akshaya Tritiya’, amid lockdown to prevent the spread of Coronavirus pic.twitter.com/Uv6no3FTZu
— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 26, 2020
10. The MHA relaxed some norms for local shops and allowed registered shops and ones outside municipalities to operate. It then later clarified that restaurants, barber shops and parlours will remain closed.
For constant updates related to COVID-19, tune in to the LIVE UPDATES counter with NewsMobile!