The total number of coronavirus cases in India has risen to 23,077, according to the Union Health Ministry’s Friday morning update. Of these, 4,748 people have recovered. The death toll has increased to 718.
Here are the top 10 developments this Friday morning:
1. Maharashtra reported an explosion of new cases as 778 persons tested positive in the state during the past 24 hours, taking the count of new cases on Thursday to 1,755, the highest single-day surge so far.
2. Delhi showed a rise in the number of positive cases after several days of low numbers, with 128 more people testing positive in the last 24 hours and two deaths.
3. Andhra Pradesh registered its highest single-day spike in cases with 80 people testing positive and three deaths.
4. Bihar too saw a spike with 29 new cases in the state, taking the total number to 170.
5. Telangana is inching towards 1,000 coronavirus positive cases with 27 new cases reported on Thursday. The death toll stands at 25 in the state.
6. Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb on Thursday said that Tripura has become coronavirus-free, after the second COVID-19 patient in the state was found negative after consecutive tests.
7. The Union Home Ministry has rejected Punjab govt’s request for the opening of liquor shops in the state: officials
8. The Odisha government enforced a 60-hour shutdown in three of its districts where around 3,000 people moved in from West Bengal, now emerging a COVID-19 hotspot.
9. In Rajasthan, a 75-year-old man died of COVID-19 on Wednesday. However, his report was issued on Thursday, a day after his death, taking the state’s toll to 28. The state recorded 76 new cases also, taking the total cases to 1964.
10. Delhi Police has constituted six committees to assess and bring improvements in the preventive measures against Coronavirus for the protection of police personnel.