In its daily media briefing on Saturday evening, the Health Ministry said that in the last 24 hours, 991 fresh COVID-19 cases and 43 deaths have been reported in the country.
Here are the key takeaways from the briefing:
– The total number of coronavirus cases in the country has risen to 14,378, including 480 deaths and 1,992 people who have recovered. Overall recovery rate is 13.85%.
– Asymptomatic people to be tested if they come in contact with infected people: Dr RR Gangakhedkar, ICMR
– The mortality rate in India is around 3.3%. Among deaths so far, 14.4% are in 0-45 years, 10.3% in 45-60 years, 33.1% in 60-75% and 42% aged above 75 years; 83% had comorbidities: Lav Agarwal JS
– 22 new districts in 12 states have not reported any fresh cases during the last 14 days. This includes – Lakhisarai, Gopalganj, Bhagalpur in Bihar, Dholpur and Udaipur in Rajasthan.
– Rapid diagnostic test is a surveillance tool for epidemiological purposes; the gold standard for diagnosis of RT-PCR: Lav Agarwal, Joint Secretary, Health Ministry.
– There’s no trial on hydroxychloroquine. Doing a study in the side-effects on healthcare workers who have already taken it. 10% reported abdominal pain, 6% had nausea: ICMR
– No new coronavirus case reported in 45 districts across 23 states: Health Ministry
– So far 21.8% cases connected to Tablighi Jamaat including in Delhi, Telangana and Tamil Nadu.