With the first day of the enhanced lockdown measures initiated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi receiving a positive response in most parts of the southern part of the country, here are the developments related to COVID-19:
1. Many industrial houses have contributed PPE kits and funds to the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister’s Relief Fund. The Tata Group has donated 40,000 kits and the Hyundai Automobile Manufacturers have donated part from PPE’S, even dry rations.
2. In a heart-warming gesture, farmers from the Sarvepalli village in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh have donated rice to over 1 lakh villagers. This was done after the ruling party MLA appealed to the farmers to remove the sufferings of the common people.
3. The World-famous Thrissur Pooram festival has been cancelled for the first time due to the deadly virus.
4. The Chennai Corporation has set itself a target of testing 40,000 samples by May 3.
5. The Bangalore Electricity Supply Company (BESCOM) has decided to bill its customers the three-monthly average as electricity bills. This has been done as many apartment complexes in the city haven’t permitted the meter readers to enter the buildings.