With the country witnessing rise in the number of positive COVID-19 cases and states extending their lockdowns, India has been witnessing a lot of fast-paced developments.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this Monday morning-
1. India added 918 fresh cases of Covid-19 in the last 24 hours, taking the total tally to 8,447 in Asia’s third-largest economy, according to the health ministry’s update as of 5 p.m. on April 12. This includes 273 deaths and 765 people who have recovered.
2. ”The number of cases are increasing and I’m also worried about it,” said Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. “But confident that the number of cases will be contained.”
- Wherever we are finding cases in Delhi, we are declaring them as containment zones, and have launched ”operation shield”.
- 34-35 areas are now part of containment zones. More such places are being identified and containment is being done at large scale.
- We will provide doorstep services to all containment zones.
- Containment zones are red zones and massive sanitisation drive is being carried out. All the high-risk areas are orange zones and there will be sanitisation drive as well.
3. Maharshtra reported 134 new coronavirus cases on April 12, taking the total tally in the state rise to 1,895.
4. As far as lockdown is concerned, social distancing is key, according to Lav Agarwal. Even if there is no lockdown tomorrow, everyone needs to focus on social distancing as part of behavioural change.
5. The finance ministry has extended the deadline for mandatory minimum deposit in public provided fund and Sukanya Samriddhi account for FY20 by three months up to June, according to PIB.
6. India approved export of hydroxychloroquine tablets to 13 countries, said KS Dhatwalia, director-general of Press Information Bureau. According to ICMR’s Murhekar, there are more than 40 candidates vaccines which are under development, none have been approved yet (globally). ”India is also trying for vaccine development but as of now we don’t have any candidate available.”
7. The effort is to further increase the testing capacity in the country, said Lav Agarwal, joint secretary at the health ministry. “As part of that, we are also increasing testing facilities in private and government medical colleges.”
8. State governments are providing door-to-door services of home essentials in hotspot areas, according to Punya Salila Srivastava, joint secretary, MHA. There are certain areas where army units have come forward for awareness and food distribution.
9. The government plans to set up a chain of 20 lakh retail shops called ‘Suraksha Stores’ across India which will provide daily essentials to citizens while maintaining stringent safety norms, news agency PTI reported.
10. The Union ministry of human resource development (HRD) is planning to launch a web portal with study material for school students from Class 1 to those studying in colleges.
You can contribute to the PM CARES Funds through HDFC Bank as well.
Donate using the following account details:
Account Name: PM Cares
Account No: 59194700000000
IFSC Code: HDFC0000011
Branch Name & Code: 0011, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi
For all the latest updates on COVID-19, follow the LIVE UPDATES counter with NewsMobile.