China’s death toll from the outbreak of the deadly Novel Coronavirus has risen to 2,592 on Monday after 150 more fatalities were reported, all but one in the epicentre of Hubei province, as per AFP news agency.
Meanwhile, a total of 132 people in Italy were been infected as of Sunday, with authorities in two worst-hit regions scrambling to contain the outbreak.
“There have been 132 positive test results. Two people have died and one has recovered,” Angelo Borelli, the head of the civil protection agency, told reporters.
Doctors are monitoring 129 other people, of whom 54 have been hospitalised, while 26 patients are in intensive care.
Neighboring Veneto, Italy’s second worst-hit region with 24 infection cases, is considering halting the famous Venice carnival after two people in the main city fell ill with the COVID-19 disease.
The Balochistan government on Sunday declared a state of emergency in province’s districts bordering Iran- the first middle-east country to report deaths from Novel Coronavirus.
The development comes a day after Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan held talks with Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Alyani where he told him to take all protective measures in the areas of the province bordering Iran.
Citing official sources, Dawn reported that the provincial Health Department had established an emergency centre and a control room at the bordering town of Taftan.
“The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) and the Health Department are establishing a 100-bed tent hospital at Taftan to provide medical treatment to the suspected passengers,” an official of the Health Department said.
Pakistan has not reported any confirmed case of the novel coronavirus so far. However, multiple suspected cases of infection have been reported in the past.
Iran has reported eight deaths from coronavirus, the highest outside of China.
Coronavirus first originated in China’s Wuhan city in December last year while cases have been reported in several countries across the world, including India.