Eight Indian tourists dead in a suspected gas leak at a tourist resort in Nepal

Eight tourists from the state of Kerala were found dead in their hotel rooms in Daman, Makwanpur District of Nepal. Prima facie, it appears to be a case of death caused due to suffocation.

The eight Indian nationals, two couples and four children, were part of a group of 15 tourists who had traveled to Pokhara from Kerala and were returning back home. The local police said that, on their way back, they had stopped at the Everest Panorama Resort in Daman.

According to the resort manager, the tourists who arrived at 9:30 PM on Monday, had booked four rooms, but eight of them stayed in a single room, while the rest occupied the other rooms. The group of eight, then bolted all windows and switched on the gas heater in the room to keep warm.

Also Read: Meet India’s R-Day Chief Guests, and why it matters

The police were informed the next morning of their unconscious state by their fellow tourists. They were airlifted immediately to Katmandu by a helicopter before they were declared dead.

On Tuesday, Minister of State (External Affairs) V Muraleedharan confirmed the death of these tourists and said that the Indian Embassy is in touch with the local authorities to expedite the bringing back of those tourists, including the mortal remains of those who are dead.

 

External Affairs Minister Dr S. Jaishankar has reacted to the development and has expressed his deep distress and has assured all possible assistance to help the families of the victims.

Kerala Tourism Minister Kadakampally Surendram also added that the officials from the Non- Residents Keralites Affairs are in touch with the Indian Embassy in Nepal and the bodies will return back to the state tomorrow.

Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news

For viral videos and Latest trends subscribe to NewsMobile YouTube Channel and Follow us on Instagram

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here