Prime Minister Narendra Modi who is on a three-day visit to the Thai capital, began his trip by addressing the members of the Indian community at the Nimibutr stadium at Bangkok. This was part of a program titled ‘Sawasdee PM Modi’ that was organized by the members of the Indian community.
He is visiting Bangkok at the invitation of the Thai king and Prime Minister to attend the ASEAN-India summit, East Asia summit and the RCEP negotiations.
Here are the key highlights of the speech,
- The Prime Minister began by releasing a commemorative coin marking the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak ji and a Thai translation of the ancient treatise, Tirukkural written by Saint Thiruvalluvar.
- Thailand and India share a historical relationship. The sea has contributed to trade, exchange of ideas and religious and cultural ideas. Lord Ram and Lord Buddha connect India and Thailand.
- The royal family of Thailand has contributed to the growth in Indo-Thai relations and the cultural ties. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn is an expert in the Sanskrit language and has been bestowed with the Padma Bhushan by the government of India. common values are the basis of Indo-Thai relations.
- There is a bit of India in every Indian who lives away from India, the Indians have played a critical role in the development of every nation around the world and this is a matter of pride for all Indians. He called on the members of the Indian community to contribute to the development of the Indian economy as it grows to US $5 trillion by 2024.
- There is a bit of India in every aspect of Thai life. Our relations with Thailand go beyond government to government ties and is rather a connection of the heart, mind and soul of the citizens. Every period of history has contributed to the growth of ties.
- The last Lok Sabha elections show that the people have reposed their faith in the work of the government and have voted in large numbers in favour of us. For the first time in the history of the country, women have maximum representation in the parliament.
- Last five years, government has worked towards bettering the lives of the citizens and we are ready to take on fresh challenges.
- Last five years have seen the citizens receive bank accounts, gas cylinders, electrical connections and more. Next five years will see the government providing safe drinking water and houses to all its citizens.
- Abrogation of Article 370 has killed terrorism and separatism in the state.
- North East India is connected to Thailand culturally and now after the completion of the India-Myanmar-Thailand trilateral highway, the connections will deepen. Trade and tourism will further develop.
- Our relations with ASEAN are not just diplomatic and economic but culturally strong.
Next two days will see intense engagements of the PM related to ASEAN-India, East Asia and Regional Economic Partnership summits and certain other bilateral meetings.