Priyanka Gandhi detained by UP Police after she sits on ‘dharna’

Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra sat on a ‘dharna’ after she was stopped from visiting Uttar Pradesh’s Sonbhadra to meet the families of those killed in a shootout in a land dispute at Mirzapur-Narayanpur police post. She was later detained by the police.

The administration has imposed Section 144 in Sonbhadra where nine people were killed on July 17.

“Just want to go and meet families of victims (Sonbhadra firing case), I even said will take only 4 people with me. Yet administration is not letting us go there. They should tell us why we are being stopped. We will continue to sit here peacefully.”, Priyanka said.

ALSO READ: Strong enough to take non-partisan decision despite slurs against me: K’taka…

UP CM Yogi Adityanath on Sonbhadra land dispute incident in which 10 people were killed, said, “29 criminals are arrested till now, a single barrel gun, 3 double barrel guns and a rifle seized. Whoever is found responsible for this incident, strictest action will be taken against them”.

On the day of the incident, Priyanka Gandhi had criticised the state government over the law and order situation.

Taking to Twitter, she had said, “In the BJP ruled state, the confidence of criminals is so high that broad day-light killings are continuously happening. The killing of 9 Gond tribesmen, including 3 women, by the land mafia in Umbha village of Sonbhadra is heart-wrenching. Administration and Chief Minister are all sleeping. Is this how the state will be crime-free?”

The incident took place in Ubbha village of Ghorawal where the village head went to take possession of his land purchased two years ago. However, he met with opposition from the villagers which triggered the firing allegedly by his aides leading to the deaths.

“Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath took cognisance of the incident and expressed his condolences to the families of the deceased. He directed the district magistrate of Sonbhadra to provide immediate medical attention to the injured,” a statement from the Chief Minister’s Office had stated.

Besides asking the Director General of Police (DGP) to personally monitor the case, Adityanath had told the officer to ensure effective action to catch the culprits.

Five people were arrested on July 18 in connection with the case.

(With ANI inputs)

For viral videos and Latest trends subscribe to NewsMobile YouTube Channel and Follow us on Instagram


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here