Death toll rises to 60 following Sudan crackdown

Representational image

Earlier this week, in the capital city of Khartoum 60 people were killed and more than 300 injured, when the para-military forces in Sudan raked havoc on a sit-in protest of civilians in the city.

The death toll has risen and may spiral up very soon as injured civilians are pushed into hospitals, as per numerical estimates set according to the Central Committee of Sudan Doctors (CCSD).

ALSO READ: India, Japan to take Modi-Abe vision forward: EAM S Jaishankar

Sudan, has been under military rule after the Transitional Military Council (TMC) overthrew the Congress leader and 7th President of Sudan, Omar al bashir, from his office in April in a military coup.

The non-violent protesters at Khartoum have been demanding for weeks the re-establishment of a democratic government, seeking the civilian’s ‘right to elect’ a leader.

Bessma Momani, University of Waterloo, in an interview with Al Jazeera links back the military attacks to previous historical coups and questions the availability of a fit democratic leader when half the population is being wiped clean by the Rapid Support Forces (RAFs).

“The worst massacre since the beginning of Sudan’s peaceful popular uprising”, says Khalid Mustafa Medani, chair of the African Studies Program at McGill University urging the foreign nations to speak out against the perpetrators.

As per Military regulations, international media has been banned from reporting in Sudan. According to local report, the RSFs in Sudan have placed themselves all over the country and have attacked groups showing any form of resilience.

Yet, when delivering an address on a local television channel, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, leader of the TMC, said elections will be held within nine months.

The Pro-democracy supporters after the violence are pushing for mass ‘civil-disobedience’ and further resilience against the military led government, they are also seeking for international help and support.

Furthermore, The Security Council of the United Nations met on tuesday separately on request of Britain and German, to discuss over the views of Nicholas Haysom, an US Envoy working with the African Union (AU) over the issue of Sudan.

The Council failed on coming up with a unified solution, as P5 nations like China and Russia refused to take collective action over ‘internal’ issues in Sudan. The other members of the council greatly condemned the military action and urged for the re-meeting of the council and coming up with an unified decision.

European nations like Germany, France, Italy, The Netherlands, Britain, Sweden and Belgium stated the TMC’s “unilateral announcement to cease negotiations, appoint a government and call for elections within a too short period of time is of great concern”, as suggested in a report by Al Jazeera.

The fate of Sudan greatly lies in the hands of the International Communities, awaiting a solution the country handles the bloody massacre alone as death tolls rise by the second.

Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news genie

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here