The first day of the IPL Auctions for the IPL 11 showed how smart the franchises have become with the growing experience of sitting on the round tables. While they broke their banks for few players, there were few ‘steals’ as well.
It was not just about the buys though, the list of unsold players will give you goosebumps too. One can make a playing XI of these unsold players, who have a chance to go under the hammer on Sunday.
A total of 109 players went under the hammer on the first day of the auction for the 2018 IPL which kicks off on April 7. Out of these 109 players, 78 of them were able to fetch themselves a deal while 38 went under the table. Here’s a quick look at the takeaways-
- Ben Stokes once again fetched a whopping sum. The England all-rounder was bought by Rajasthan Royals for a huge sum of INR 12.50 crore.
- KL Rahul and Manish Pandey were big gainers as well. Both of them drew a winning bid of INR 11 crore each from Kings XI Punjab and Sunrisers Hyderabad respectively.
- The one which was a great deal was Krunal Pandya’s amount. He inflicted a bidding war between a lot of franchises and by the time Mumbai Indians used their Right to Match card, the call had reached INR 8.8 crore.
- Expectedly Rashid Khan also landed a dream contract, he will earn INR 9 crores though he will be playing for the same franchise Sunrisers Hyderabad as they exercised their Right to Match card.
- Chris Lynn’s INR 9.6 crores might not be a big surprise, it was on expected line but the same franchise, KKR, also spent 9.4 crores for Mitchell Starc.
- Gautam Gambhir was bought by Delhi Daredevils for ‘just’ INR 2.8 crores. He is a really great buy at the cost, given that he wants to ‘nurture the young talent’ and is as good a captain as you would fine in the IPL.
- Harbhajan Singh has not played much nor has he grabbed the headlines but he was superb last edition. So INR 2 crore looks to be a great deal for one of the best offie of India.
- Shakib-al-Hasan was purchased by Sunrisers Hyderabad for INR 2 crores. Though it is a good sum but is still a steal when you consider the quality of the one of the best all-rounders at the moment.
- Not to forget few U19 stars also earned a career defining contracts.
It was not a very great day for the heavyweights of IPL. One of the most successful batsmen in T20s, Chris Gayle, surprisingly went unsold. The same was the fate for the highest wicket taker in the tournament’s history—Lasith Malinga.
Here’s the list of the unsold players
Let us now have a look at each team
Summary after the first day