Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on Wednesday said that the Centre should review its decision on the Haj subsidy.
Speaking to media here, the Chief Minister said, “We came to know that the Union government has withdrawn Haj subsidy. We demand the government to review its decision”.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Union government scrapped the Haj subsidy for pilgrims as the fund will instead be used for the empowerment of minorities from this year.
Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi had said that the Haj subsidy funds will now be used for the education of girls and women of the minority community.
“When we say development with dignity, then we must also say Haj with Dignity. Around 1.75 lakh people will go to Haj this year. We are in support of strengthening the minority. Haj subsidy funds will be used for educational empowerment of girls and women of the minority community”, he had told the media.
However, there is an exception to the rules for the poor and people over 70 years of age.