Christmas has fast become a much-awaited holiday with the winter joy that it brings to millions around the world.
In recent years, many non-Christians in India have begun to celebrate the festival with good cheer. Houses are decked up in glam red and green lights, shopping malls are vibrantly donned with the best of glitter and life-sized snowflakes, and Christmas trees become the hottest selling product of the winter months!
- Delhi, the capital of India plays host to a number of embassies, many of whom organize Christmas markets in December in order to promote the spirit of Christmas, to help charities and NGOs’ raise funds, for us Indians to experience their culture and traditions, and in general to promote bonhomie between their nations and ours. Various embassies such as the German and Australian embassies and many others regularly host Christmas Markets. Even Select City Walk hosts a Christmas bonanza that is a present for both kids and elders.
- We certainly can’t leave out Goa! Various markets such as the Anjuna Flea Market, Calangute, Tibetan, Arpora & Margao to name a few have lots to offer for shoppers. However, haggling is the key, & since Goa is a veritable goldmine for merrymakers and the party goers.
- In Mumbai, Christmas markets are held by the Indo-German Chamber of Commerce; Bandra Hill Road, Linking Road & Bandra Village, Crawford Market, Cuffe Parade & Elphinstone College to name a few places where markets are organized and where stores stock up on Christmas decorations.
- Kolkata has some markets which are beautifully decorated during Christmas and one gets to shop a variety of things. The most prominent ones are; Park Street, New Market, Mirza Ghalib Street. They also have carols, loads of good food and music blaring in the streets, & Christmas carnivals are organized here.
- In Shillong, the streets are decked with Christmas decorations and packed with busy shoppers. The Shillong Christmas Festival is organized every year, & various places such as Police Bazaar, Khyndailad, Barra Bazaar & GS Road are buzzing with activity during this time of the year.
We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!
Shop your life out!