The Forbes list of the top 50 richest Asian families is out and the Ambani’s have topped it.
The Ambani family, led by brothers Mukesh Ambani and Anil Ambani, has claimed the top slot in Forbes list of 50 richest Asian families with a net worth of $44.8 billion, up $19 billion from the previous year.
India enjoys the biggest presence on the list as compared to any other Asian country, as 18 Indian families have made it to the top 50.
Some of the interesting facts about this years Forbes list are :
- The Ambanis are the only Indian family on the top 10 richest families list in Asia. “No family highlights this surge better than the Ambanis of India, this year’s biggest gainer in dollar and percentage terms,” Forbes said.
- Other richest Indian families on the list feature the Premjis (rank 11, $19.2 billion net worth), the Hindujas (12th, $18.8 billion), the Mittals (14th, $17.2 billion), the Mistrys (16th, $ 16.1 billion) and the Birlas (19th, $14.1 billion).
- “Because of India’s size, the Ambanis can never be as dominant there as Samsung’s Lees have been in Korea. But with Mukesh’s next generation establishing a presence at the Reliance Jio telecom operation, this story could play out for years,” Tim Ferguson, Editor of Forbes Asia, said on Forbes website, forbesindia.com.
- South Korea’s Lee family which ranked second on the Forbes list saw their wealth soar by $11.2 billion to $40.8 billion this year as shares of Samsung Electronics moved up 75 per cent over the past year.
- Motherson Sumi Systems’ Sehgal family (41st, $6.15 billion), the Wadia family (42nd, $6.14 billion), DLF’s Kushal Pal Singh (44th, $6.1 billion), the Patel family which controls Cadila (45th, $6 billion), the Piramals (47th, $5.38 billion) and the Munjals (48th, $5.37 billion) also made it to the list.
- For this year, the ticket was $5 billion, $1.6 billion more than the previous year.
So, it is a proud moment for India and we would like to congratulate, the Ambani family on reaching such great heights.