Bengaluru: Namma metro employees call off strike, metro services resumed

Bengaluru:  The recently inaugurated Namma Metro services were suspended after a feud broke out at Sir MV Metro Station between a group of Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) and two Karnataka State Industrial Security Force (KSISF) personnel.

Services were affected from 5 am this morning while Metro management is trying to convince staff to resume work. Among the hapless commuters are a lot of techies who use the metro service towards Baiyappanahalli.

ALSO READ: Delhi: Life imprisonment to two for rape, murder

The fight erupted when the BMCL staffers refused to undergo the security check and physical frisking before entering the Metro station, just like the commuters last evening. The feud was finally broken when onlookers called local policemen to the spot. However, by then, two KSISF constables Anand Guddad and Lakshman were beaten up by around 10 metro staffers.

This, in turn resulted in the arrest of the staffers, following which the Bengaluru Namma Metro bandh was called for yesterday. Metro staffers, who are carrying out the ongoing strike starting today, have been demanding the release of fellow staffers who were arrested for thrashing the policemen.

BMRCL Managing Director Pradeep Singh Kharola, told the media that as per standard security guidelines, nobody including the metro staffers, were exempted from undergoing security screening at the stations.


Metro services have been resumed after being temporarily suspended today, due to the metro workers protests, in Bengaluru.

The metro services were stopped after a few metro workers were arrested by the police, and their colleagues started protesting. The metro has started working again since then.

N.A. Harris, member of Indian National Congress (INC), spoke to the media and said that they have discussed the whole issue with the Union and are resolving it.

“This was an incident that should not have happened and so we have already asked for the enquiry,” N.A. Harris added.

The MLA said that it is the right of the metro employees to protest but this was a small issue that should not have happened.

He further added that, “The MD, Director General and we have all agreed to have a meeting in the coming one week’s time so that small issues like these could be resolved.”

“We have asked the concerned people to withdraw their cases. Two people from metro and two people from the police department have been arrested,” he told the media.

He also said the metro has resumed working and apologized to the commuters on behalf of the staff and would make sure that issues like these do not come up in future.

A scuffle had broken out at 6 in the morning at central college metro station, on Thursday. An argument broke out between a metro worker and a constable.

After which the police later arrested a few metro workers which is when the workers started protesting. According to reports, counter cases had been registered by both the police and the metro workers.

Two constables have also been taken into custody by the police, regarding the incident.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here