Counter terror operations in Pampore ends; Combing operations underway

Para commandos, Entrepreneurship Development Institute, Pampore, Srinagar-Jammu National Highway,

Pampore: The operation to flush out holed up militants inside a government building in Pampore on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway on Wednesday came to an end after 3 days of continuous operation, as security forces continued to pound the multi-storey structure with mortars and rockets to bring it down.

Two of the three militants is believed to have been killed in the security forces action on Tuesday, officials said.

ALSO READ: Renowned Pak journalist who reported splits between civilian govt & military banned from leaving country

“The operation at Pampore is still going on.The concrete structure is posing a difficulty to the army personnel in bringing it down,” the officials said.

Security forces have been pounding the building of Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI) since Monday after three militants barged inside the complex with the aim of engaging the law enforcing agencies.

The operation has been now going on for 52 hours as most parts of the concrete building have been reduced to a skeleton after many of its walls were blown up.

Elite Para commandos of the army have also been called in to neutralise the militants but the security personnel are not rushing into the building to avoid casualties, the officials said.

The area around the EDI premises has been cordoned off to prevent the militants from escaping, the official said.

ALSO READ: “Terrorism is the biggest enemy of humanity” says PM Modi in Lucknow

Two to three militants stormed into the EDI complex in the wee hours of Monday and took positions inside one of the buildings.

The ultras could have entered the complex from the riverside but that can only be ascertained once the operation is over, the officials said.

After getting inside the complex, the militants set on fire few mattresses inside a hostel room to attract the attention of the police and other security forces, which arrived within minutes of the smoke emanating from the building.

In the initial exchange of firing, one army soldier was injured, the officials said.

ALSO READ: Sriwijaya Air flight lands at the wrong airport

Militants had targeted the EDI building in February this year as well.

Five security force personnel including two young army officers and a civilian employee of the Institute and three militants were killed in that operation which lasted 48 hours.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here