The first case of fire in Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone inside an aircraft in India was reported on Friday in Chennai-bound flight from Singapore, prompting aviation regulator DGCA to summon the company officials and ban the onboard use of this series of devices of the South Korean major.
The incident happened inside an IndiGo aircraft at the time of landing at Chennai airport on Friday.
Earlier, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) had asked airlines to advise passengers to switch off their Samsung Galaxy Note phones while onboard.
The move also comes two weeks after the watchdog banned the use of Samsung Galaxy Note7 onboard an aircraft following a series of incidents of the smartphone’s battery exploding in various countries. However, this is the first incident of the Samsung device catching fire onboard in India.
ALSO READ: Accenture to buy Kurt Salmon!
Sources said that a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is suspected to have caught fire on an aircraft landing at Chennai airport on Friday morning. The crew had to use the fire extinguisher to put off the smoke and following the incident, the DGCA has called in Samsung officials to meet on September 26, sources added.