In a major setback for India, China and five other nations stall expansion for NSG and India has lost its bid to join Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
- NPT status remained sticking point. China insisted that it should join NPT.
- India considers it discriminatory has refused to join NPT.
- Five others including Brazil, Austria, New Zealand, Ireland and Switzerland oppose India’s entry.
- MEA had mounted a high voltage diplomatic campaign and upped the stakes.
- The 48 member body is the body that controls nuclear commerce.
- India’s entry would have given it a strategic boost in the international community.