India’s oldest and biggest newspapers Times of India fell prey to sensationalism disregarding sensitivities and national interest, even if it came at the cost of embarrassing a state guest of India, Kate Middleton, with a caption on its front page, ‘Kate’s Marilyn moment at India Gate’. They did that earlier with Bollywood star Deepika Padukone with a video of her cleavage tweeted in September 2014.
This is the reason why the young generation is moving away from the old world media outlets like the Times of India and in their desperation to get readers they are resorting to sensationalism.
ALSO READ: DUCHESS OF VOGUE
What turned out to be a slight wardrobe malfunction at a wreath laying ceremony at a war memorial became more important than the event and in a lack of poor judgement the times editors let the picture go with a caption comparing it to the Marilyn Monroe moment. Editorial judgement is a key ingredient that makes for a good media outlet and in this case the TOI let it slip away.
Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton were at the Amar Jawan Jyoti, to lay a wreath on the memorial and pay their respects to the fallen soldiers. Media too was present there to cover the event and so was Times of India.
ALSO READ: ‘Lady of the Harley’ killed in road mishap
At a solemn moment at a war memorial, when everyone was giving their respect to the soldiers who had given their lives for the country, Times of India came into its element and decided to compare the moment when Kate’s dress lifted slightly due to breeze to Marilyn Monroe’s famous upskirt image.
This type of coverage by the national daily definitely did not go down well with the social media which is up in arms. It happened while the royal was laying a wreath on the war memorial.
Earlier in September 2014, Deepika Padukone reacted angrily and social media was up in arms when the Times of India tweeted a video of Deepika Padukone with a caption “OMG Deepika Padukone’s cleavage show,”
YES!I am a Woman.I have breasts AND a cleavage! You got a problem!!??
— Deepika Padukone (@deepikapadukone) September 14, 2014
Here are a few reactions which sum up the kind of disgust Times of India generated after doing such a story. Times Of India not only dishonoured India’s guest but also embarrassed the country.
Shame on @timesofindia for publishing Kate’s India Gate on front pg.Will Aranb discuss the shameless act of his fellow journalist@TimesNow
— Uday Bhan MS (@uday_bhan) April 12, 2016
43% of the pictures in Times of India are about semi-nude women. The other 57% pictures are ads.
— Sagarcasm (@sagarcasm) April 12, 2016
Congrats Times of India! From the Grand Dame of Bori Bunder, you’ve become a perv with camera seeking upskirt shots pic.twitter.com/FjvL25QnCF
— IndiaExplained (@IndiaExplained) April 12, 2016
Times of India has a 14 year old puberty struck kid’s mind … pic.twitter.com/OGPhQa212d
— Sand-d Singh (@Sand_In_Deed) April 12, 2016
Times of India is actually toilet paper of India.. #Presstitute works aa journalist
— Prashant D (@praeoeo) April 12, 2016
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT. Unbelievable https://t.co/BDpUk2Gc82
— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) April 12, 2016
You know the level of blunder committed by Times Of India when even Barkha Dutt gets surprised
— Equality 4 Indians (@DEreSERVEIndia) April 12, 2016