Michel Platini’s bid to be FIFA president remains on hold while he serves his suspension — but football’s governing body on Tuesday left the door open for the Frenchman.
FIFA reconfirmed they will vote for a new president on February 26, 2016 to replace Sepp Blatter and the executive committee confirmed Platini’s bid will not be considered as long as he is suspended.
Chairman of the FIFA Electoral Committee, Domenico Scala, said “presidential candidacies submitted in due time and form, but which relate to candidates who are subject to a (provisional or definite) ban … will not be processed … as long as such ban is valid and in force.”
But Scala left the door open for Platini by adding that should his ban be lifted or expire before the February 26 election, the Electoral Committee “would decide, depending on the respective exact point in time, on how to proceed with the candidacy concerned.”
A source close to Platini welcomed the news.
“This is rather good news. The election committee could have buried the nomination of Michel Platini,” the source told AFP.
“We have the feeling that the election committee has not killed Michel Platini.”
The UEFA president had been considered the favourite to replace Blatter until his suspension.
His chances nosedived as neither he nor Blatter can explain an irregular payment of two million Swiss francs ($2 million, 1.8 million euros) made in 2011 for advisory work the Frenchman did for FIFA from 1998 to 2002.
Alongside Platini, Prince Ali bin al Hussein, who lost to Blatter in May’s election, and former Trinidad and Tobago captain David Nakhid have officially stated their candidacies.
Former Switzerland defender Ramon Vega and Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim al Khalifa, president of the Asian Football Confederation, are also considering running, but all candidates must submit their application by Monday.
Football’s governing body has been in chaos since October 9 when the ethics committee suspended Blatter, secretary general Jerome Valcke, and Platini for 90 days.
– Critical –
The trio were banned from attending Tuesday’s FIFA gathering in Zurich when acting president Issa Hayatou attempt to guide FIFA through the latest storm of scandals in Blatter’s absence.
“I was pleased to see unity among the Executive Committee members during our discussions of reform and its critical importance to our organisation,” said Hayatou in a statement.
With Hayatou in charge, the executive committee welcomed preliminary reform proposals to set an age restriction of 74 years and a 12-year maximum tenure for the FIFA presidency.
That would block any repeat of someone matching Blatter’s reign in future with the 79-year-old having been in in charge since 1998.
A final proposal of the reforms will be presented at the next meeting in Zurich on December 2-3.
With Hayatou pledging a commitment to rebuilding FIFAâ€™s battered reputation, the executive committee agreed to change the rules governing investigations.
It means more information could be published in future about the independent ethics committee’s proceedings.
“Increasing the transparency of ethics investigations is just one example of our firm commitment to change,” added Hayatou.
“It was also significant that we set the course for the upcoming presidential election.”
FIFA may well be forced to come clean on a number of fronts given the latest wave of scandals to blight world football’s governing body.
Swiss investigators are looking into the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar in a bribery scandal which has seen 14 people arrested by American and Swiss authorities.
Seven former FIFA officials were arrested by Swiss authorities in May as the United States attempts to have them extradited to face charges of accepting bribes.
And last weekend, allegations of cash-for-votes by magazine Der Spiegel has drawn the awarding of the 2006 World Cup to Germany into question and the German Football Association (DFB) has strenuously denied any wrong-doing.
State prosecutors in Frankfurt said on Monday they are already looking into the allegations in what could well bring more embarrassment to senior FIFA officials.