Burnleys Vokes ends injury woe to frustrate Spurs

Burnley rescued a 1-1 draw against Tottenham in the FA Cup as injury-plagued striker Sam Vokes scored for the first-time since March in Monday’s third round tie at Turf Moor.

Vokes came off the bench for only his second appearance of the season following his long battle to recover from a ruptured cruciate knee ligament and the Wales forward marked the occasion with a second half equaliser to earn a replay at White Hart Lane.

Nacer Chadli had given Tottenham the lead early in the second half, but neither team could secure a home tie against Leicester in the fourth round.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino made seven changes from the team that enjoyed a 5-3 win over Chelsea on New Year’s Day, but all the switches contributed to a lacklustre first half.

With Tottenham lacking cohesion and Burnley also struggling to find any rhythm, the tie degenerated into a scrappy midfield battle, with neither side managing even a single shot.

Pochettino responded to the stalemate by sending on leading scorer Harry Kane for Benjamin Stambouli at half-time.

Kane had scored six goals in the last six games, and 16 in all competitions, and his introduction finally sparked Tottenham into life.

The visitors threatened twice in quick succession as Roberto Soldado saw his strike from the edge of the penalty area deflected wide and Federico Fazio then headed straight at Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton.

When Kane scuffed a low strike wide from 20 yards, there had already been more goalmouth action in the first few minutes of the second period than in the entire first half.

Danny Ings had Burnley’s first shot moments later when the striker’s 20 yarder forced a routine stop from Tottenham goalkeeper Michel Vorm.

But it was Spurs who took the lead in the 56th minute when Ben Davies picked out Chadli with a cross from the right and the Belgian winger coolly slotted his shot past Heaton.

Michael Keane should have equalised in the 70th minute when the on-loan Manchester United defender headed narrowly wide from a good position.

Dean Marney also went close with a rising drive as Burnley pressed for an equaliser that eventually arrived in the 73rd minute.

It was a simple but well worked goal as Kieran Trippier crossed from the right and substitute Vokes side-footed home for his first of a nightmare campaign.

Chadli could have spared Tottenham a replay but he shot wide in the closing minutes.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here