Fernando Alonso sent a positive and optimistic message to his and Ferrariâ€™s fans on Thursday when he said he plans to win a third driversâ€™ world title before he considers retirement.
The 32-year-old Spaniard, who is widely-regarded as the finest racing driver of his generation, said he may be happy with two titles, so far, but remains hungry for more despite Ferrariâ€™s struggle to keep pace with Mercedes this year or Red Bull in recent seasons.
“We are still hungry for success, waiting for our opportunity to become champions,” he said. “This is the main goal and you don’t think of retiring until you get some satisfaction.
“It is something I am working for and hoping for. Three titles means a step”, he said. “It is not that I’m not happy with two, but the third puts you in a list of very important names.
“I have been close twice and hopefully the next opportunity we have we won’t miss again.”
Alonso added: “I think I can carry on long enough to win and to be competitive for some good years. I don’t know how many – three, five, seven. I don’t think it should be any problem.”
He also said he was not happy with the 2014 generation of turbo-charged F1 cars.
“The new F1 cars are heavier, slower, (more) difficult to understand what the car is doing â€“ and you cannot push all through the race.”