8 dead as mortar shells hit Kabul residential areas on Saturday. Amongst the residential areas targeted was the posh Wazir Akbar Khan area where diplomatic missions are located. The estimated number of rockets is 23. 31 civilians are said to be been injured in the attack.
According to Interior Ministry spokesperson Tariq Arian, mortar shells were fired from two trucks before they were set off. “Based on initial information eight people were martyred and 31 others were wounded.” Said Tariq Arian.
An investigation is underway to see how the truck managed to get inside the city and moreso into the Green Zone where diplomatic missions are housed. No terror outfit has come forward to take responsibility for the attack, though the Taliban issued a statement clarifying that they were not behind the attack.
Some civilians took videos of the projectiles being launched and circulated them on social media.
— Ahmer Khan (@ahmermkhan) November 21, 2020
We survived the rocket attack on Kabul.
Took my 2 months old daughter, marched my wife to kitchen and tucked my baby in my arms with the fridge.
10 mins of agonizing chances taken. When each rocket was fired, I’d say “no god please no not today my daughter is still a baby.”
— Mustafa Kazemi (@CombatJourno) November 21, 2020
Earlier in the day, two small sticky bomb explosions had been reported earlier. One of these hot a police car injuring 1 policeman and injuring 3 others.
ALSO READ : India expresses concerns over foiled Nagrota encounter, wireless set recovered from slain terrorists, establishing Pakistan connection
The barrage sent warning sirens blaring from embassy compounds and came two days before a major donor conference for Afghanistan in Geneva, Switzerland. The US State Department announced late on Friday that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo would meet negotiators from the Taliban and the Afghan government in Qatar on Saturday.
Peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban have resulted in attacks, although other armed outfits resort to attacks.