Bhai Dooj is like Raksha Bandhan and this year, the auspicious day is being celebrated on November 16.
The sisters on this day pray for the long life of their brothers and in turn brothers have to gift items to their loved ones. Bhai Dooj is one of the most auspicious festivals of India and falls on the last day of long Diwali celebrations.
It all started when Lord Krishna went to visit his sister Subhadra and she welcomed him with flowers and sweets. According to Hindu Mythology, on this day Yama, the God of death, visited his sister and she performed the rituals. In doing so, The God of death was so happy that he announced that whoever puts tilaks on their forehead from his sister’s hand will live a long and prosperous life.
Bhai Duj, Bhau Beej, Bhai Bij, Bhai Phota and numerous other names, will be celebrated on November 16. The Bhai Dooj tika time on the day is between 01.10 pm and 03.18 pm.
Bhai Dooj Puja Vidhi
1. A thali is prepared with red tilak, rice, and sweets
2. The thali must have a lit diya
3. Brothers should keep a clean cloth on head and sister then applies the red tilak on brothers forehead
4. After putting the tilak, rice has to be put and the sweets must be shared between the brother and sister
5. After the tilak ceremony, brothers have to eat what their sisters have cooked, this ceremony is called Bhagini Hastha Bhojanam.
6. If you don’t have a brother you should pray to God Chandra